- November 8, 2023
- Category: Uncategorized, Home, Tips & Advice
As the days grow shorter and the temperature drops, it’s time to consider winter-proofing your home. One of the biggest threats during the winter season is the risk of pipes freezing. A burst pipe can cause extensive damage to any property and lead to costly repairs. At Cluett Insurance, we understand the importance of protecting your home against harsh winter conditions. In this blog post, we will guide you through some steps to better prepare your home for the chilly season:
- Insulating your Pipes: Having proper insulation is the first line of defence against freezing pipes. By insulating your pipes, you are helping retain heat, preventing the water from inside from dropping below and freezing. Don’t forget to cover outdoor pipes with faucet covers or wrap them with insulation to prevent freezing.
- Seal the Cracks and Gaps: It is important to check for any cracks and gaps in your home’s exterior, as they lead to cold air seeping into your home. Use caulk or weatherstripping to seal these openings, ensuring that the cold air stays outside and does not creep into your home.
- Maintain a Consistent Temperature: Keep a consistent temperature in your home, especially when you are away. It might be tempting to lower the temperature, however, it is best to keep your home temperature around 13°C (55°F) or higher. This will help prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Change your Furnace Filter: A dirty filter will make the heating and ventilation system work too hard, shortening its lifespan and, in turn, costing you money. Consider bringing in a pro to have a tune-up on your HVAC before the winter months.
- Open Cabinet Doors: In extremely cold areas of your home, like under your sink, consider opening the cabinet doors to allow the warm air to circulate around your pipes. This can be especially useful in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Be Prepared for an Emergency: Despite your best efforts pipes can still freeze. Be prepared by knowing how to shut off your main water supply. Knowing if your insurance covers freezing pipes can be a sense of relief, contact us today to know if you have the right insurance.
Protecting your pipes from freezing is essential not only for the integrity of your home but also for your peace of mind. By following these steps you can ensure a winter-ready home reduces the risk of costly damage. At Cluett Insurance, we are here to help protect your home. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out and contact us today!