- November 19, 2019
- Category: Auto, Home, Tips & Advice
The holidays are the most wonderful time of the year for many.
Unfortunately, it is also a time of year to also be careful that thieves don’t steal your Christmas. Here are some tips on how to protect your car, house and valuables.
When shopping for gifts for those special people in your life, keep your car safe:
- Park in a busy well lit area because your car is more at risk in a secluded dark place.
- Lock doors and close windows when leaving your car.
- Do not leave valuables or shopping bags visible in your car. It would be ideal to take them with you, but if you cannot, lock them in the trunk, and take care that no one watches you do so.
- Do not leave your car unattended with the engine running on cold days. If you have used an automatic car starter, be sure that the car is still locked.
- Also when shopping, be aware of your surroundings. Keep hold of your purse and packages at all times.
To keep your house safe:
- Always keep cash and valuables safe and well hidden.
- Be sure to lock windows and doors if you are going out.
- Do not leave ladders accessible to thieves after you hang your Christmas lights!
- After you unbox your new things, be cautious to disguise the boxes in your trash. Turn the boxes inside out in your cardboard pile. Or tear them up into cardboard confetti!
- Be sure to keep your house well lit if you are away. Install timers on lights to make it appear that there is someone home.
- And be careful what you advertise on social media! Do not make your home a target by posting that you are away.
We hope these tips will not make you feel worried, but it is better to be cautious then a victim. Sometimes we are caught up in the busyness and let our guard down this time of year. If you are ever worried that you have been targeted by a thief, please call the police. If you tend to shop more online, check out these tips for Safe Online Holiday Shopping.